request for enhancement: gdmsetup

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Mon Nov 27 05:03:15 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Anthony Ewell wrote:
>> Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>>> Dunno who you are refering as "they", but we are not making any plug-in
>>> for switchdesk (a Red Hat tool IIRC), so it's your favorite distro
>>> packager who provides that, not us...
>> Precisely!
>>
>> What I would like is a warning if XFce can not
>> find it!
>
> Find what?
>
> Why is it our job to provide this?  Your distro (apparently) added the
> button for the switchdesk thing, so bug them about adding one for
> gdmsetup.  This has nothing to do with us; we're not going to waste our
> time providing settings manager wrappers for every single non-Xfce app
> people might feel like using.
>
> 	-brian

Brian,

     This request was for the XFce developers to consider
including "gdmsetup" in the "Settings" dialog box.
"gdmsetup" has some great functionality that is missing
from the current icons in "Settings".  I am not asking
the developers to write a new version of gdmsetup.

     Also, in another posting, I made a request that
the developers consider giving some kind of indicator
when "Settings" can not find any of the programs it
normally shows in "Settings".  This again was not a
request that the developers write new versions
of any of the programs that it shows in settings.

    I think were you are getting confused is that you
think that all of the icons in "settings" were written
by the XFce developers.  They are not.  Of the ones
I have tracked down, they are standard programs included
with most distros.  Some may be XFce specific.  Others,
like switchdesk-gui, are not.

    I hope I have cleared things up for you.

--Tony