Always on Top

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Nov 20 14:18:29 CET 2006

James,

> On 11/20/06, Odenthal, James P <james.odenthal at accusort.com> wrote:
> PopUp stays on top, xfce and meta. Stuck in upper left, and can't resize, maximize; but at least never covered up.  More later...... Thanks.

Here comes a much better and elegant solution. As I said, the problem comes from the transient/group property between the windows.

So all you need to do is to make the window that you don't want to be covered, be part of its own group, i.e. become a group of its own...

Simply add the following statement to your code:

    gdk_window_set_group (window->window, window->window);

Where "window" is the toplevel window widget.

I've attached an updated version of the sample code that does this so can study it. The main advantage of this is that the window somehow becomes independent from the rest of the other windwos of the application, since it belongs to its own group (the window being its self leader).

Cheers,
Olivier.