XFCE 4.4 beta

Nic Stevens nic.stevens at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:16:27 CEST 2006

samuel verstraete wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:30:54 -0700
> Nic Stevens <nic.stevens at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Ok ... here's a few things I see as issues with the beta. I don't
>> know if I would call these bugs or not but from the perspective of a
>> desktop user these are things that I found as either deficient or
>> awkward:
>>
>> Desktop:
>>
>>    1. Desktop icon display should have transparent background on icon
>>       text labels.
>>

> Has been discussed and will not be implemented.

IMHO this looks really ugly with a dark background. Reminds me of OLD
versions of Windows (gag)

>>    2. When desktop is in file/launcher mode icons mode, files created
>> in ~/Desktop should be  displayed. Currently I have to change display
>>       modes to see newly created files.
>>

> then your famin/gam daemon is not working for you... reconfigure those

I see that gamin is installed. I guess I need to learn another new
package to use xfce.

>>    3. If Desktop is in file/launcher mode there should be a context
>> menu to create launcher/file items. Additionally there should be
>>       thunar  templates to accomplish the same tasks when viewing the
>>       ~/Desktop folder
>>

> i can agree on that... partly :)
> let's just say it would be nice to have....

If there is no way to create/edit launchers why show them? If I have to
use gnome to edit them why don't I just use gnome?
>> File Manager:
>>
>>    1. File/item display should maintain different display settings for
>>       each folder.  (i.e., different zoom, view type(icon/list/compact
>>       list), etc.)
>>

> Has been discussed in the designing phase of Thunar and has been
> rejected for whatever reason out there... check previous mail of
> thunar-dev or the wiki of thunar...
>
> gr,S.

4.4 has, on the surface, the feature set I was hoping it to have. The
reality, however, is that I would end up doing as I did with 4.2 which
was to use nautilus for the desktop and file management. In the end,
with 4.2, I ended up going back to gnome because I kept adding "gnome
features" to xfce. To get the same functionality I want with 4.4 I will
need to do the same thing.

Perhaps I'm bitching too much and should just shut up and use gnome
since that's what works has the features I want.

--
"The men who create power make an indispensable contribution to the Nation's greatness, but the men who question power make a contribution just as indispensable."
        -John F. Kennedy

"Patriotism is not the blind following of leaders, rather, it is the questioning of those leaders when they act contrary to one's beliefs."
	- Me

Nic Stevens (nic dot stevens at gee mail daught com) -- http://www.ducksfeet.com/nic