Large numbers of workspaces

Michal Kapalka michal.kapalka at epfl.ch
Wed Mar 22 09:11:43 CET 2006

> I'm now using 24 virtual desktops.  Managing 24 desktops starts to
> become a nuiscance when one is limited to traversal by first, last,
> next above, next below, etc.  Even keyboard shortcuts can only handle
> 10.  So I find myself with an annoying itch to make dealing with a
> large number of desktops easier.

Hi,

I'm not a XFCE developer, so I cannot say what and how can be embedded
in XFCE itself. However, I have one suggestion: use wmctrl and
xbindkeys. These two applications are a remedy for situations in which
standard functions of a window manager are not sufficient anymore.

http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/
http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

For example, you can define keyboard shortcuts for all desktops with
these tools. You can also add menu entries to the desktop menu that will
go to a given desktop. Possibilities are endless, once you know what
exactly you need :)

Best regards,

Michal