Xfce, ubuntu and gnome ...

Robin Haswell rob at digital-crocus.com
Sat Mar 4 22:55:31 CET 2006

That brown is the color the X root window has been set to - there IS
always a layer there, and the bottom layer is just plain old X, which
can have a colour or an image. I think your problem is a mixture of
nautilus behaving like a playground bully, and xfdesktop not being running.

Make sure xfdesktop is running so you can have your XFCE-set background
windows. Xfdesktop also handles the right and middle-click menus on the
desktop (window and app list), so that's a good way to tell if xfdesktop
isn't running, or is broken.

-Rob