What happened to my panel?

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 00:03:00 CEST 2006

On 6/18/06, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Have YOU seen the new file selection dialog that's been foisted on us by
> the GNOME folks?  And I don't even USE GNOME, but they apparently control
> GTK now.  Sorry if you don't like my "attitude" but the fact is that some
> opensource projects ARE better and more responsiive than others.  Xfce I
> consider to be among the best in that regard, which is why I've already
> apologised (twice) for my venting about the change which I hadn't seen
> coming.  Comparing some opensource projects unfavorably with others
> doesn't demonize anyone.  As I said, some are BETTER than others.

I'm pretty sure everyone's seen the filechooser by this point, but no
one is "foisting" it upon anyone.  There are many other choices;
that's part of the whole open-source game.

> :If it's not important enough of an itch for someone to scratch, then
> :anyone who thinks it is should step up and do so.  Otherwise, be happy
> :we have what we have and don't play "versus" games or "demonize" the
> :goodwill of any project.
>
> Enough of the self righteousness!  If I think one opensource project sucks
> and another blows, I'll say so.  Sorry you don't like it.  There's a
> _reason_ I use Xfce.  I consider it BETTER than GNOME or KDE, for lots of
> reasons (leanness principally).  To say so is not to "demonize" anyone.

If you think your opinion that necessary to state on a mailing list
without regard to how others feel, maybe you should you heed your own
advice.  It certainly seems like we've had "enough" at this point.
There's a reason all of us use Xfce, but we are still fellow
users/developers with the GNOME community.  As choice is so important,
we can differ on opinion and work on projects we prefer, but it's
important not to be divisive in that process.

And remember: each of these messages is from your mother.  No one
(generally and, on this list, usually) means any offense.

Cheers,
Andrew