What happened to my panel?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 19 01:09:13 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 16:10 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Have YOU seen the new file selection dialog that's been foisted on us by
> the GNOME folks?  And I don't even USE GNOME, but they apparently control
> GTK now.  Sorry if you don't like my "attitude" but the fact is that some
> opensource projects ARE better and more responsiive than others.  Xfce I
> consider to be among the best in that regard, which is why I've already
> apologised (twice) for my venting about the change which I hadn't seen
> coming.  Comparing some opensource projects unfavorably with others
> doesn't demonize anyone.  As I said, some are BETTER than others.

If you don't like it, then change the code and submit it -- even if
that's merely to change the code back to the previous version.  If
enough people agree, they _will_ listen.

> Then you'll be happy with 4.4, where the configuration dialogs are the
> same.  You can even add whole new panels - it's rather cool.

Okay, very cool.

> Enough of the self righteousness!  If I think one opensource project sucks
> and another blows, I'll say so.  Sorry you don't like it.  There's a
> _reason_ I use Xfce.  I consider it BETTER than GNOME or KDE, for lots of
> reasons (leanness principally).  To say so is not to "demonize" anyone.

Then you miss the concept of community-developed software.

And no, I'm not being "self-righteous" -- although I _know_ what it's
like to be on a project and see no good deed go unpunished.

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com