SVN to releaseable package

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 3 19:36:27 CEST 2006

Enrico Tröger wrote:

>>> Jannis is working on such an installer : http://installit.xfce.org
>>
>> That doesn't look to bad.  OC, the primary distribution method will
>> have to be RPMs in the end.  I think it might be useful to have an
>> xfce yum repository.  That's an idea.
>
> RPM is specific to Fedora and SuSE. For those things, you should also
> have a repository for Debian packages(I know, RPM user don't like to
> think about that there are even better things), provide packages for
> Slackware and so on. I think the installer is the best and easiest
> way to make most people happy.

	RPM is the most used packaging system for all Linux distros.  A rough
guess would be something like 75% RPM, 20% DEB & 5% everything else.  At
this point, yum is the equal or better than apt but it is true that in
order to have the widest possible spread there will be a strong need to
have both RPM and DEB packages.  An installer is a really good idea but
if it doesn't interface with the package system, be it DEB or RPM, it
won't have anywhere near the usage as it should and will keep Xfce from
really competing with GNOME and KDE.

Joe