SVN to releaseable package

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sat Jun 3 19:56:44 CEST 2006

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:36:27 -0400, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>
wrote:

> >> That doesn't look to bad.  OC, the primary distribution method will
> >> have to be RPMs in the end.  I think it might be useful to have an
> >> xfce yum repository.  That's an idea.
> >
> > RPM is specific to Fedora and SuSE. For those things, you should
> > also have a repository for Debian packages(I know, RPM user don't
> > like to think about that there are even better things), provide
> > packages for Slackware and so on. I think the installer is the best
> > and easiest way to make most people happy.
>
> 	RPM is the most used packaging system for all Linux distros.
> A rough guess would be something like 75% RPM, 20% DEB & 5%
> everything else.  At this point, yum is the equal or better than apt
Maybe, although Deb gets more and more user since Ubuntu is such
popular. And let me say, without any following comments:
although RPM maybe more used, Deb is the better choice ;-)
But this is only my opinion and anything further will be off-topic.

> but it is true that in order to have the widest possible spread there
> will be a strong need to have both RPM and DEB packages.  An
> installer is a really good idea but if it doesn't interface with the
> package system, be it DEB or RPM, it won't have anywhere near the
but then you are again at the distro-specific point. Then the installer
must handle the dpkg database, yum's database(don't know exactly how
it is there organized) and then people ask for other packacking tools
from their favorite distro. There are some(I remember at least two)
projects which try to solve the problem by a new package manager which
acts as a frontend to dpkg, yum and the others. But IIRC these are in a
very early stage of development.

To come to the end: I think the installer is great at the moment and it
shouldn't take care about any package managers. Install Xfce with the
installer somewhere different to the default prefix of your distro
(e.g. /opt/xfce) and all should be fine. You also mentioned, that it
keeps Xfce from competing with KDE or Gnome. Well, does anyone want
this? And does KDE or Gnome have any (graphical) installer at all?

regards,
Enrico

Geany, a lightweight IDE using GTK2 - http://geany.uvena.de