What bug report? (Re: Where to report bugs? [WAS: about symbolic links on Desktop])

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 19:27:37 CEST 2006

> 	The number of "relatively advanced users" is quite
> small compared to
> "plane old users."  Normal home users will not
> compile software even if
> the compilers are installed and corporate users
> won't be aloud to have
> dev tools installed.
>
> 	There is something that I feel the open source
> community might benefit
> from.  If possible, everyone should try and spend
> some time outside of
> the community.  Outside the Tech community even.  In
> the "real" world
> Linux and open source don't exist.  At best, you
> might find a handful of
> people who have heard the name Linux.  They either
> don't know what it is
> or think it's some virus related thing.  Don't
> laugh, it's true.

Let me add this: I am myself a mathematician, a PhD
candidate. In scientific community, I know there
*exist* people who use Linux in their professional
activity i a daily basis. They even write Fortran
programs in emacs. But interestingly, some do so
simply because they've done so many years ago when
there was only Unix workstations around, or somebody
told them there is a freely (as in beer :)) available
system with necessary tools to meet their needs. Some
are more advanced Linux users than the others. You
shouldn't assume that their systems are no more than
disposable. They are not only people who install a new
distro every day in Linux community.

So what's the point? I'm trying to say that majority
of *Linux users* or not, there are *average Joe's*
among Linux running people, as long as computer
technical knowledge is concerned. Some of them may be
interested in giving feedback. If any project is
interested to have feedback from a wide variety of
users, there should be a mechanism in place to ensure
them that after they install your product, they can
safely remove the software as needed. Does this mean
some kind of warranty? Maybe, but this is a minimal
agreement of gentlemen to get things going. It's not
only about having gcc installed on the computer, it's
certainly more than that.

On the other hand, I understand the different nature
of GPL software. The project leader may very well not
be interested in *average* Joe's :) needs or
thoughts.This possibility makes a lot harder to talk
about such issues, as someone always pops up and tell:
"Don't be an infidel and smear these graceful and
giving people! Do something about it!" Guys! At least
personally, I do appreciate what's being done, and I
am really, really grateful. What I can do, for now,
was to give feedback. Maybe I may have the necessary
time and resources to act as a full-time beta-tester.
But it's really nonsense to expect such an involvement
from people, at least counter-productive. I understand
why developers insist on the latest SVN, but then,
what's the point in releasing beta versions to the
public? Are you kidding? :)

What I like most about Ubuntu is their policy in their
forums: No RTFM, no "Google is your friend!", or
something similar. I don't say people do that in this
list: on the contrary, most emails were very
constructive and helpful. But when it comes to
testing, Xfce developers may really benefit from
better testing strategies if they have enough time and
interest in getting and listening to feedback from
technical *and* nontechnical (in the sense CS: I
cannot think of a Linux user without a geek (read =
masochistic) side. Windows is more than plenty for
other purposes :)) users. Now, as I said, this
software is not a commercial product: so, I don't know
whether there is such an interest on developers' +
casual code contributors' side. But hey, all I allude
to is *listening without complaining* and giving a
larger space than minor SVN revisions. It's
developers' call at the end of the day to agree or
disagree. It's their effort and baby; and others will
and have to respect that!

Best regards and thanks to everyone who skims through
this babbling ;)

Nusret