What bug report? (Re: Where to report bugs? [WAS: about symbolic links on Desktop])

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 3 15:34:37 CEST 2006

Stefan Stuhr wrote:

>> This presupposes something that's usually not thought of by
>> developers (I know I always forget it).  On a desktop system for
>> regular users there should not be any compilers or other
>> development tools installed. No amount of scripts will overcome
>> that obstacle.
>
> Why shouldn't there be any compilers or other development tools? One
> doesn't have to be a developer to use such software. It can be used
> to install a lot of free software, not just Xfce SVN, from source. Of
> course, it's okay if one doesn't want to do that. But it shouldn't
> stop relatively advanced users (non-developers included) from using
> Xfce SVN, if that's what they want to do.

	The number of "relatively advanced users" is quite small compared to
"plane old users."  Normal home users will not compile software even if
the compilers are installed and corporate users won't be aloud to have
dev tools installed.

	There is something that I feel the open source community might benefit
from.  If possible, everyone should try and spend some time outside of
the community.  Outside the Tech community even.  In the "real" world
Linux and open source don't exist.  At best, you might find a handful of
people who have heard the name Linux.  They either don't know what it is
or think it's some virus related thing.  Don't laugh, it's true.

> There is, of course, also the problem with dependencies (for binary
> distributions). One have to install dev/devel pakcages, and often,
> trial and error is the way to find out which.

	Or, isntead of trial and error, do something like 'yum install xfce4'.
  Heck, with the yum shell you could probably write a nice little script
to walk through the repositories and even get the goodies.