What bug report?(Re: Where to report bugs? [WAS: about symbolic links on Desktop])

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Sat Jun 3 03:00:55 CEST 2006

fre, 02 06 2006 kl. 20:40 -0400, skrev Joe Klemmer:
> 	This presupposes something that's usually not thought of by developers
> (I know I always forget it).  On a desktop system for regular users
> there should not be any compilers or other development tools installed.
>   No amount of scripts will overcome that obstacle.

Why shouldn't there be any compilers or other development tools? One
doesn't have to be a developer to use such software. It can be used to
install a lot of free software, not just Xfce SVN, from source. Of
course, it's okay if one doesn't want to do that. But it shouldn't stop
relatively advanced users (non-developers included) from using Xfce SVN,
if that's what they want to do.

There is, of course, also the problem with dependencies (for binary
distributions). One have to install dev/devel pakcages, and often, trial
and error is the way to find out which.

This command should install all dependencies for Ubuntu 6.06:
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake1.9 autotools-dev
m4 \
libtool gtk-doc-tools libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libxt-dev libxpm-dev
\
libxml2-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev
libgconf2-dev \
libx11-dev libxcursor-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxi-dev \
libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libasound2-dev libpng12-dev
\
libgnutls-dev a2ps libcupsys2-dev libvte-dev libgamin-dev \
libhal-storage-dev libexif-dev libjpeg62-dev python-dev python-gtk2-dev
\
subversion

It installs the dependencies needed for most of Xfce, including Thunar,
Terminal, xfce4-mixer, xfprint and PyXfce. It also installs the build
environment needed, and the subversion client.

Stefan