Where to report bugs? [WAS: about symbolic links on Desktop]

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat Jun 3 01:16:32 CEST 2006

Normally I leave stuff like this uncommented but I think people need a reminder on something:

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:49:30 -0700 (PDT), nusret <nbalci_l at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 3) I started to pray Xfce team releases a new beta so
> that Xubuntu guys update the package. Who knows, maybe
> they will fix the problem...

okay, here goes the reminder:

Xfce-4.3.9x is BETA software. That means that it not only it has no warrantly because it's GPL and such, and it's not fit for any purpose etc etc ad nauseam, but we actually think that as the software is right now, it is _not_ stable at all.

We warned (okay, we complained to)  the xubuntu people earlier that we're not interested in their release schedule because we cannot be interested in anyone's release schedule (otherwise everyone would think that we would favour xubunto over -say- gentoo, or debian).

If xubuntu users now come in to complain -err- I mean report bugs because distribution X has included non-stable unfit highly experimental pieces of svn code from Xfce's subversion repository, .... we get kind of very unhappy with xubuntu :)

[if you're the one who thinks that I should be grateful that xubuntu is giving Xfce exposure and are about to start a flame, please count to 10, and don't. This has nothing to do with that.]

I hope this is clear to people. I'm okay with people reporting problems in a constructive way, as it should be done:

o make sure you're using the latest stable version (yes, not SVN or a beta snapshot!)

if you're adventurous *and* would like to do a bit more than just say that stuff is broken:

o read the mailinglist and documentation on progress and ongoing issues
o make sure you use the latest svn versions at all times with recommended libraries, compiler, etc...
o follow the bugtracker and see if your problem isn't already reported
o keep in mind that it's still beta software, and
o keep in mind that there will always be bugs

Thanks for your attention ;^)

Cheers,

Auke