about symbolic links on Desktop

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Jun 2 23:25:46 CEST 2006

nusret wrote:

> IMHO, the context menu should exactly like Thunar context menu
> (maybe) plus some Desktop specific actions. The plugin panel menu is
> good as it is (it should be exactly like current context menu). I
> agree that the current desktop menu that you get right-clicking in
> the empty desktop area is not related to Desktop folder at all,
> except for a few useful action. Desktop has two aspects: it's both a
> gate to the rest of your computer, and it *is* a first class folder.
> Current model seems to ignore the second aspect.

	Ah!  I finally get it.  You see the Desktop as a directory (I hate the
usage of the word "folder" to mean directory) under the users home
directory (and no wonder with GNOME and KDE actually creating a Desktop
directory).  That's probably part of the free desktop (or whatever it's
called) specification, I bet.  $DEITY what a mess that makes.  The
desktop should NEVER have been made a directory under the users home.
No wonder there's such confusion.

> I personally don't feel like it's a good idea to show a menu with
> left click of the mouse. It should be reserved for block selections
> (in my opinion).

	That kinda goes against 30+ years of X-windows, doesn't it?

	There used to be a manual called "The Human Interface" that was
published by Apple many years ago.  I wonder if it's still available.

<Joe goes off a-searchin'>

Found it.  The book is titled "Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines"
ISBN 0201622165.  This book describes how to do the Mac interface but it
also has great info on GUI interfaces in general.

	While I was digging around I found some other titles about user
interface design.  It would probably be a good thing to have one of them
be part of the coding guidelines for Xfce (or any other GUI centric
project).

Joe, who recomends http://www.nerdbooks.com for all your computer book
needs but doesn't get a kickback from them, darn it.