about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 00:01:31 CEST 2006

--- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> 	Ah!  I finally get it.  You see the Desktop as a
> directory (I hate the
> usage of the word "folder" to mean directory) under
> the users home
> directory (and no wonder with GNOME and KDE actually
> creating a Desktop
> directory).  That's probably part of the free
> desktop (or whatever it's
> called) specification, I bet.  $DEITY what a mess
> that makes.  The
> desktop should NEVER have been made a directory
> under the users home.
> No wonder there's such confusion.

Well, I don't know about specifications, etc. After
all, I never store files, folders, etc. permanently on
Desktop, but I do use it for temporary files, scratch
work, etc. It sounds reasonable to me to make it a
folder: a special one. But this is just my feeling,
not even thoughts :).

> > I personally don't feel like it's a good idea to
> show a menu with
> > left click of the mouse. It should be reserved for
> block selections
> > (in my opinion).
>
> 	That kinda goes against 30+ years of X-windows,
> doesn't it?

What goes aginst X-windows experience; left-click,
block selections, or both? As you don't like any kind
of icons on the desktop, I suspect both ;)?  You
should excuse me, my sum total of X experience is
under 30 days :).

Nusret