xfwm problem?

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Tue Jul 18 11:46:39 CEST 2006

Vincent Groenewold wrote:
> Well, I don't have a /lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins, I do have a
> /usr/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins. And it has only a couple of files in it ;

With ${prefix} I meant the prefix you installed xfce under (default is
/usr/local), yours is /usr, that's fine in principle.

> display_plugin.a
> display_plugin.la
> exo stuff
> fm_plugin
> keyboard_plugin
> mouse_plugin
> screensaver_plugin
> ui_plugin

That looks a bit odd, every component should install three files in
/usr/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/, one dynamic lib (.so), one static lib (.a)
and a libtool file (.la), like

ui_plugin.a
ui_plugin.la
ui_plugin.so

> I re-emerged the mcs-plugins several times, but no more came up. I'm
> probably missing a plugin-settings-file or something belonging to 4.2.
> aaaah :) Perhaps I should re-install linux.

Well, is that necessary, just because your xfce installation went wrong?
You could get the xfce4.2 sources, configure them using the same prefix
and other configure options as you did before when installing 4.2 (you
actually don't have to build or install them) and do a clean uninstall
(make uninstall). Then reinstall xfce4.4 using the installer ;-)

Good luck,

Nick.