Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:32:03 CET 2006

On 1/10/06, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> > Michel Leunen wrote:
> > > Where can I find this option 'use startup notification'. It seems I'm
> > > not able to find it in the 'Settings Manager'.
> >
> > It's not in the settings manager, it's in the launcher properties.
> >
> > Startup notification requires the application to support it, so it
> > cannot be a global option (as not all applications support startup
> > notification)
> >
> > http://www.xfce.org/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-panel.html#launcher-item
>
> Not to hijack this thread, but that reminds me of a question I've had
> for a while: why make this an option for each launcher?  You've mostly
> answered it here, but it begs another: is there any drawback in
> "trying" to support startup notification in an app that doesn't
> support it?  I didn't know about some apps not supporting it, and I've
> put it on every launcher and menu item I've ever created without
> noticeable problem.  I think I'd like to request that on bugzilla,
> since just having the global option seems sufficient, but since we're
> talking about it here....

I mentioned that once. I think the only objection is that the way it
works is the app alerts the window manager when the app is done
"Starting". With this in place, turning it on for all launchers would
cause the alert that the app is starting to run until the window
manager time out. (30 seconds I believe)

> --
> http://aconkling.blogspot.com

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."