Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:56:06 CET 2006

On 1/10/06, Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not to hijack this thread, but that reminds me of a question I've had
> > for a while: why make this an option for each launcher?  You've mostly
> > answered it here, but it begs another: is there any drawback in
> > "trying" to support startup notification in an app that doesn't
> > support it?  I didn't know about some apps not supporting it, and I've
> > put it on every launcher and menu item I've ever created without
> > noticeable problem.  I think I'd like to request that on bugzilla,
> > since just having the global option seems sufficient, but since we're
> > talking about it here....
>
> I mentioned that once. I think the only objection is that the way it
> works is the app alerts the window manager when the app is done
> "Starting". With this in place, turning it on for all launchers would
> cause the alert that the app is starting to run until the window
> manager time out. (30 seconds I believe)

Ah, this makes more sense.  I have seen that before where the
indicator just keeps on spinning (given my choice in cursor) even
after the app has started.  Is there any way to check for the presence
of startup notification, something like "If we get a signal from this
app, we'll show the busy cursor, otherwise not at all"?  (Honestly, I
confess I don't know much about how this works, even though I've
worked in GTK+ 2.6.)  Of course, I understand that even if it were
possible to support something like that, it may just support outdated
software, and if that's the case, I'm with you, Olivier!

--
http://aconkling.blogspot.com