Gvim window activated by mutt doesn't gain focus

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Tue Jan 10 17:06:34 CET 2006

tir, 10 01 2006 kl. 13:53 -0200, skrev Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao:
> > In general, we dislike trying to work around bugs in other
> applications --
> > it removes the incentive to get the bugs fixed, for one thing.
> Another
> > problem is that it adds cruft to our code base and hurts
> maintainability.
>
> Valid points, yes. The typical software crossroad: you can keep it
> pure and
> strict or compromise to make it more usable. The fact is: gvim (and
> perhaps
> other applications) is buggy in this respect, and a config option
> would
> certainly make Xfce more usable around it. The bottom line is: to know
> that
> Xfce adheres strictly to standards doesn't make it more usable. It's
> interesting and commendable but definitely less usable. Okay, I'm not
> developer, but an option here doesn't look like such an excrescence.

It's also a fact that this bug in gvim can - and should - be fixed in
gvim.
Also, an option here may not look like that much of a problem, but if
you look at the bigger picture of all the possible options, developers
just have to say no to some options, even if they are simple and easy to
implement, especially if it's options to work around bugs in other
applications. Otherwise, changes are height that their software will be
described as bloated.

> Just my $0.02
> Paulo

Stefan