Gvim window activated by mutt doesn't gain focus

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao marcelpaulo+l at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:53:39 CET 2006

Biju Chacko wrote on Jan, 10:

[...]

> > I was submitting the bug report on gvim and it occurred to me: wouldn't it be
> > a valid feature an xfwm4 config option to ignore the timestamp from
> > NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW and always give focus ? The "rule of least surprise" may be
> > worth abiding to even if that means patronizing misbehaved applications such
> > as gvim. A config option might be a fair compromise.

> In general, we dislike trying to work around bugs in other applications --
> it removes the incentive to get the bugs fixed, for one thing. Another
> problem is that it adds cruft to our code base and hurts maintainability.

Valid points, yes. The typical software crossroad: you can keep it pure and
strict or compromise to make it more usable. The fact is: gvim (and perhaps
other applications) is buggy in this respect, and a config option would
certainly make Xfce more usable around it. The bottom line is: to know that
Xfce adheres strictly to standards doesn't make it more usable. It's
interesting and commendable but definitely less usable. Okay, I'm not a
developer, but an option here doesn't look like such an excrescence.

Just my $0.02
Paulo