Insert in terminal

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:44:35 CET 2006

On 2/20/06, Erika Meier <erika0815 at web.de> wrote:
> On 20.02.2006 12:27:44 Andrew Conkling wrote:
> >On 2/20/06, Jacob Baloul <jbaloul at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Andrew,
> >> I know this...
> >> What i am talking about is selected text buffers which are not equal to
> >> ctrl-c.
> >> e.g
> >> if you were to highlight with your mouse or even with shift, lets say in a
> >> document....you could use middle click on your mouse to paste the
> >> highlighted text anywere you clicked...same thing with ctrl+shift+insert in
> >> konsole
> >
> >Ah, I see what you mean.  I have no idea about that one and I'm not at
> >my system to test it out.  I'm CC'ing this to the Xfce list
> >(xfce at xfce.org) to see if anyone has any ideas, so check there for any
> >replies.

> >> paste

> Imho copy & Paste is completely broken in Linux

You mean X. I know, I know, I'm being pedantic....

because every app does
> its own thing about this
> there are some apps that support the mouse copy&paste using the middle
> mouse button

Middle mouse button is not the same thing as copying to/pasting from
the clipboard, hence some of your confusion

> in some apps you have to use ctrl+c/v to copy&paste and on some apps
> you can only insert stuff that you copied with ctrl+c
> and sometimes nothing of the above will work.

Well, we can't fix applications that aren't written by us. I
personally notice a lack of standardization in the Windows world -
some apps accept Shit+Insert for pasting, some apps have a clipboard
history, some do not...

As for the Terminal, Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V may be reserved by the shell or by
the application you are working with, so Terminal has to provide
alternate shortcuts for these actions, which is why it seems non
standard. It's not an easy problem - Windows doesn't allow copy and
paste (at least easily) in the DOS window, and OS X solves it by
adding an extra meta key.

> The clipman plugin of the xfce panel reveals this and in my opinion
> this is just awful.

May I ask what you mean by this?

> Just had to tell everyone about this because this really is annoying am
> I the only one who feels about this like that? Are there guidelines for
> that?

Of course we've noticed how copy and paste works! Yes there are
guidelines. Use standard shortcuts whenever possible, blah blah blah.
The real problem you seem the be facing comes from standardization -
remember that a lot of Unix desktop practices decend from Motif/CDE
which made their critical design decisions in the 80s.

> my 2 ¢
>
> Erika

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."