[ot] Xgl and Compiz WM

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Wed Feb 15 09:58:11 CET 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Harold Aling wrote:
>
>> Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>>> I don't know, you're posting on an xfce list. Better ask on
>>> xorg at lists.freedesktop.org where such topics are currently being
>>> discussed....
>>>

>> I'm posting on the XFCE list because I don't use gnome nor the
>> gnome-window-decorator... I was just wandering if it was possible to
>> decorate some windows with xfwm, since gnome is able to do that too...
>>

> Compiz will replace your window manager. You cannot run two window
> managers at the same time, xfce or xfwm4 have nothing to do with that!
>
>  From XGL page, http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl :
>
> "Xgl works best with a composite manager. For some effects composite and
> window manager have to interact tightly, so they should actually be the
> same process. compiz is the first available combined window / composite
> manager that uses OpenGL. In order to use it run"
>
> "compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom
> scale move resize place menu"
>
> "It will replace your current window manager and load all plugins. You
> can also start with a minimal number of plugins by only specifying
> decoration move resize place menu. After startup you can use
> gconf-editor (sorry, no KDE configuration plugin yet) for editing the
> parameters of all plugins. More information about the plugins and their
> parameters will be presented on the compiz page."
>
> "For window decorations you will have to start a window decorator
> program. An experimental window decorator for gnome is included with
> compiz. To use it run gnome-window-decorator. "

Thank you for this info! Somehow I didn't think/google before posting
here... It's all very clear now...

The only question remaining: will the XFCE team create a plugin like the
current (and only) gnome variant? I know it's rude to ask such a thing,
but it would be very cool to have, and OpenGL window drawing will
probably be the future of all desktops...

>> Anyway: since Twinview dowsn't work yet, I won't be using Xgl/Compriz
>> for now. I sure hope XFWM will be able to decorate windows when
>> Xgl/compriz hits mainstream. It would be a real pity if not...
>>

> Again, this seems fairly unrelated to me. We won't fix what is not
> broken, if you want to run compiz and its decorator, as stated on XGL
> web site "It will replace your current window manager". Feel free to use
> whatever window manager you want.
>
> Regards,
> Olivier.

Thanx for all the info!