[ot] Xgl and Compiz WM

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Feb 14 22:40:43 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:
> Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>>> How come the gnome-window-decorator is able to start and decorate
>>> windows then?
>>>

>> I don't know, you're posting on an xfce list. Better ask on
>> xorg at lists.freedesktop.org where such topics are currently being
>> discussed....
>>

> I'm posting on the XFCE list because I don't use gnome nor the
> gnome-window-decorator... I was just wandering if it was possible to
> decorate some windows with xfwm, since gnome is able to do that too...

Compiz will replace your window manager. You cannot run two window
managers at the same time, xfce or xfwm4 have nothing to do with that!

 From XGL page, http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl :

"Xgl works best with a composite manager. For some effects composite and
window manager have to interact tightly, so they should actually be the
same process. compiz is the first available combined window / composite
manager that uses OpenGL. In order to use it run"

"compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom
scale move resize place menu"

"It will replace your current window manager and load all plugins. You
can also start with a minimal number of plugins by only specifying
decoration move resize place menu. After startup you can use
gconf-editor (sorry, no KDE configuration plugin yet) for editing the
parameters of all plugins. More information about the plugins and their
parameters will be presented on the compiz page."

"For window decorations you will have to start a window decorator
program. An experimental window decorator for gnome is included with
compiz. To use it run gnome-window-decorator. "

> Anyway: since Twinview dowsn't work yet, I won't be using Xgl/Compriz
> for now. I sure hope XFWM will be able to decorate windows when
> Xgl/compriz hits mainstream. It would be a real pity if not...

Again, this seems fairly unrelated to me. We won't fix what is not
broken, if you want to run compiz and its decorator, as stated on XGL
web site "It will replace your current window manager". Feel free to use
whatever window manager you want.

Regards,
Olivier.