[ot] Xgl and Compiz WM

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Feb 15 10:26:12 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:
> The only question remaining: will the XFCE team create a plugin like the
> current (and only) gnome variant? I know it's rude to ask such a thing,
> but it would be very cool to have, and OpenGL window drawing will
> probably be the future of all desktops...

I doubt it.

a. Compiz is somebody else's WM. The developers of Compiz are free to do
whatever they want.

b. OpenGL based X is probably the way of the future but that doesn't
mean XGL and Compiz will be the way. There is a lot of work being done
within the Xorg community to achieve the same thing. XGL may or may not
be merged in Xorg. Whatever happens, Xfce will most probably support the
defacto standards established by Xorg.

c. A lot of what Compiz does is already available in Xfwm4. If and when
new GL based features appear in Xorg they will probably be supported
within Xfwm4 rather than by using a third-party WM like Compiz.

-- b