Default desktop configuration?

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 11 16:30:29 CET 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:15:36 +0100
Niki Kovacs got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Q: where does XFCE's default configuration come from? E. g. when running
> XFCE the first time, the launcher is centered, there are a few entries
> for Terminal, Thunar, etcetera. No desktop background, but "Tips and
> Tricks" is activated. Now I wonder how I could possibly change that. As
> far as I could make out, there's a .config directory in every user's
> home which defines all that. Where does this get it's default values from?

It took a week for your mail to reach here? Wow, faster by boat ;-)

Sorry, anyhow, you should have in your desktop menu (right click) an entry for
Settings. If you do not, or if you do not get a menu (you say there is no
background, that leads me to believe 'xfdesktop' is not running), there are two
things you can try.

1. In a term, run 'xfce4-setting-show', and you should get the configuration
interface.

2. Make sure xfdesktop is running, and that no other process is blocking it
(Nautilus, Gnome, whatever). Run 'xfdesktop', and see if you get any errors. If
not, run 'xfdesktop &' and you should be good to go.

HTH

btw, also see the FAQ for more on why your xfce desktop may not be showing, and
other issues you may be having :-)

http://www.spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfce4/index.php#faq

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046