Desktop Linux survey

Edward Barrow edward at copyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 18:14:27 CEST 2006

Harold Aling wrote:

> I just migrated all my machines from Gentoo to (x)Ubuntu, because I had
> to spend too much time keeping Gentoo updated and upgraded all the time,
> with a lot of breakage along the way.

I've just done pretty much the same, and for the same reasons, although
to Debian etch rather than Ubuntu. I will, however, probably make
Xubuntu the default distro for users' machines.

There's a lot good about Gentoo, but for a vanilla x86 machine the
performance gains simply aren't outweighed by the maintenance costs. I
now have to find other times to do all the things I used to do waiting
for Gentoo ebuilds to compile...

edward