Orage: doesn't close

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:47:34 CEST 2006

On 8/5/06, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:19:40 +0200
> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, it's not a bug, it's a feature (tm).
> > Orage is reduced to the systray when closed, if you don't see it check
> > that you have a systray running (systray plugin for xfce panel for
> > example).
>
> Thanks for the observation, but it's hardly 'expected behaviour'. If I
> close a program, I expect it to close, not hide. (In this case, it's
> worse. I have no systray running, and it disappears from the taskbar).
>
> I'd suggest a normal close by default, and if the special behaviour is
> wanted, a command line option.

It is the expected behaviour. The icon is in the system tray. The "X"
button means "close this window". The window is closed. But the
application remains.

Perhaps, like Gaim, it should close in the absense of the system tray
(if it does not already), as this would be sensible behaviour. At
most, since the system tray is clearly the case Orgae was intended
for, a pref for "Show orage in notification area", enabled by default

> At least, as Orage is signalling things to the console all the time, why
> not a message stating the new state? Or a message on startup, suggesting
> the program shouldn't be run from the console?
>
> John

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."