Hebrew Support

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Apr 27 21:38:26 CEST 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Nikolas Arend <Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>> Yes, thank you, that is what I need. I just installed it, and it has
>>> two modes: PC and US. In PC mode I can type in English normally. In US
>>> I type and the cursor moves from left to right, but no text is
>>> displayed. I do not see any options for it, other than it's position
>>> on the menu and the choice of text or pictures. What must I do to
>>> enable Hebrew?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your patience.
>>>

>> To be able to switch between the layouts, you should modify/add the
>> respective entry for the keyboard layout in your xorg.conf file. Like this
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>>         Driver      "kbd"
>>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us,de"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Please refer to the xfce4-xkb-plugin help and xorg docs for further
>> information or ask google.
>>
>> HTH,   Nick.
>>

> Thanks, Nick. Or course I always try to google a question before I ask
> it. In the case of the keyboard switcher plugin, I could find no info,
> so asked here. That's probably because I did not realize that a plugin
> was required. In the case of how to properly configure the plugin, I
> came across the same info that you had posted. However,
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf already contains these lines:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,il"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
> EndSection
>
> So that is why I asked on the list. I'm sorry if I did not specify all
> that I had done to solve the problem on my own. It is of course
> obvious to me that google provides quicker answers that the mailing
> list, cuts down on bandwidth, and doesn't bother anyone!

Sorry if I sounded harsh, that was not my intent. It's just that I
didn't have much time and thought the problem of getting the plugin to
work properly was more with xorg than with xfce. Anyway, I saw that you
already worked it out. My next advise would have been to check whether
the toggle option actually works (alt_shift) and/or to comment out the
xorg options "XkbRules" and "XkbOptions" for now. The plugin should work
without them.
If you encounter any other problems, you could try that first. And don't
forget to restart your X server after altering xorg.conf.

Best regards,  Nick.