Hebrew Support

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 16:47:31 CEST 2006

On 4/26/06, Nikolas Arend <Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Yes, thank you, that is what I need. I just installed it, and it has
> > two modes: PC and US. In PC mode I can type in English normally. In US
> > I type and the cursor moves from left to right, but no text is
> > displayed. I do not see any options for it, other than it's position
> > on the menu and the choice of text or pictures. What must I do to
> > enable Hebrew?
> >
> > Thank you for your patience.
> >
> To be able to switch between the layouts, you should modify/add the
> respective entry for the keyboard layout in your xorg.conf file. Like this
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us,de"
> EndSection
>
> Please refer to the xfce4-xkb-plugin help and xorg docs for further
> information or ask google.
>
> HTH,   Nick.

Thanks, Nick. Or course I always try to google a question before I ask
it. In the case of the keyboard switcher plugin, I could find no info,
so asked here. That's probably because I did not realize that a plugin
was required. In the case of how to properly configure the plugin, I
came across the same info that you had posted. However,
/etc/X11/xorg.conf already contains these lines:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,il"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

So that is why I asked on the list. I'm sorry if I did not specify all
that I had done to solve the problem on my own. It is of course
obvious to me that google provides quicker answers that the mailing
list, cuts down on bandwidth, and doesn't bother anyone!

In any case, considering that I do have the proper lines in xorg.conf
and I still cannot type in Hebrew, what would you suggest? Thank you.

Dotan Cohen