[OT] Good to be back: An experiment with Compiz

Yo'av Moshe bjesus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 22:43:38 CEST 2006

Sure, Compiz is more an eye candy and technology preview than a real
usable WM. I'm using it since it's out and I love it, but sure it's
not because of it's (lack of) functionality. Compiz it just cool. Xfwm
is a an eveyday-everyone's WM.

If we could have the great of both - Xfwm's features with Compiz
coolness - that would be awesome. To be honest, I'm not sure who will
do it first - Compiz or Xfwm.

For those who liked their computer make people say "wow", I'd say that
Compiz is a great addon. For those who simply don't care about their
desktop look, and are keyboard's freaks - Xfwm is probably a better
choice.

Yo'av.

On 4/19/06, Robin Haswell <rob at digital-crocus.com> wrote:
> Well after finally trashing my XGL install after a 3 days of usage, I can say it's good to be back
> to good old XFWM.
>
> For those XFCE users who like the look of Compiz, let me tell you this: It's stable, it's fast(er
> than XFCE), and it looks goddamn cool. But I can honestly say, nothing beats XFCE on functionality.
> Compiz is a hell of a lot better than the last Metacity I tried, but XFWM just kicks butt.
> Edge-flipping, scroll on xfdesktop, window-shading, and (thank god) configurable keyboard shortcuts
> so I can make desktops act like VTs. It's the little things that you miss the most. And the number
> of help windows I opened by hitting alt+F1...
>
> I do miss a couple of things though. The "expose" feature (the one that scales all your windows and
> makes them all visible) was really, really useful, especially on a busy desktop. I'd say Compiz was
> worth it for that alone. The other thing was a useful alt+tab. It fades in/out the windows as you
> cycle through, making it much easier to see what's going on. If I ever get any C skillz I'll
> consider writing that for xfwm with composite support.
>
> So if there are any XFCE'ers out there looking to experiment with Compiz, I would say this: By all
> means try it out, you might like it. But compared to XFWM, nothing beats usability. XFWM blows me
> away every time I use it. After flicking between metacity (rubbish), e16 (old) and e17 (unstable)
> for so long in search of a usable window manager, I was shocked to find one in a stable state
> sitting right in my sources.list.
>
> Keep up the good work guys.
>
> -Rob

Yo'av Moshe