Sticky Keys

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Tue Apr 18 22:52:32 CEST 2006

>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an option to enable sticky keys in Xfce? I cannot find it for
>>> the life of me. And no reference of such a thing as far as google
>>> searching goes.
>>>
>> No, there is no sticky key support (unless supported in X11). Dunno how
>> it's done (or if it's done) in other X11 envts.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Olivier.
>>

> Wow, really? Because that is a maker-or-breaker for me with my broken thumb.

Meet Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sticky+keys+linux+site%3Alinux.com

    15.2 Sticky keys under |X|

The following text was contributed by Piotr Mitros.

XFree86 supports an accessibility option which allows disabled users to
type single-handed. With sticky keys enabled, the user can hit a
modifier key (ctrl, alt, shift) followed by another key, rather than
having to hold the modifier key while hitting the letter.

To enable sticky keys, first make sure the xkb extension is enabled
(this is done during initial |X| server configuration and is usually
enabled by default). Next, run the |X| server with the |+accessx|
option. If you use |startx|, either run |startx -- +accessx| or add
|+accessx| to the serverargs line in the |startx| script. If you use
|xdm|, add |+accessx| to the appropriate server line in
|/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers|.

It is also possible to enable |X| accessibility with some end-user
utilities with a running |X| server.

Once |X| accessibility is enabled, press the shift key five times in a
row to enable sticky keys. To disable sticky keys, either press the
shift key five times again, or press a key while holding a modifier key.

-H-