xfce newb seeking direction

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Fri Sep 30 15:40:20 CEST 2005

Chris Dunn wrote:

>>>The above operations can be accomplished by using an external program
>>>called devilspie (sudo apt-get install devilspie). Once you have it
>>>installed, you'll need to read the docs in /usr/share/doc/devilspie
>>>where you'll find an example config file etc. - it's pretty easy to
>>>set up.
>>
>>	You can also do this with the built-in session manager that comes with
>>xfce4.  At least I do.
>

> I can see how to restart an app on the previously used workspace by using
> session save, but this does not seem to restart an app in a sticky
> state, even if so set before saving the session. Or am I not seeing
> something as usual.
>
> Also not much luck with devilspie. The version available in Debian seems
> to be 0.7 whereas the latest is about 0.13 as of a few days ago. The 0.7
> version just doesn't seem to work for me, and there seem to be similar
> reports from other users.
>
> Any tips from a successful user?

Use sawfish as window manager. It has these features built in and also a
gui for configuring window options.

To start it, just

$ killall xfwm4 && sawfish &

To get it permanent, save session upon logout.

Cheers,
	Heinrich

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341