xfce newb seeking direction

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Sep 30 17:07:15 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 09:26 -0400, Chris Dunn wrote:

> I can see how to restart an app on the previously used workspace by using
> session save, but this does not seem to restart an app in a sticky
> state, even if so set before saving the session. Or am I not seeing
> something as usual.

	This can depend on the app.  For example, Gkrellm handle's it's own
sticky state.  I use the session manager to start a root xterm that's
sticky.

> Also not much luck with devilspie. The version available in Debian seems
> to be 0.7 whereas the latest is about 0.13 as of a few days ago. The 0.7
> version just doesn't seem to work for me, and there seem to be similar
> reports from other users.
>
> Any tips from a successful user?

	One other option is to use the kde thingy.  Let me see if I still have
the stuff...  Ah, there it is.  The utility is called kstart and you can
use it to start all kinds of things in all kinds of states on all kinds
of workspaces.  Just run "kstart --help" to get all the switches and
options you need.  I was using this method for quite a while until the
built-in xfce session stuff went mainstream.