XFCE4 Session Manager: enabling shutdown/reboot option

Patrick Wiseman pwiseman at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 10 04:51:09 CEST 2005

The documentation on getting the session manager to offer shutdown and
reboot options is incorrect (in its Debian version anyway).  It says to
put

myuser myhost=/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

in the /etc/sudoers file.  In fact, what you need is

myuser myhost=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

in that file, where "/usr/local/libexec" should be replaced with the
directory wherein resides xfsm-shutdown-helper.  So, as root, do a 'which
xfsm-shutdown-helper' to find its path, and then 'visudo' to add the above
line (substituting myuser and myhost as appropriate, of course).

I seem to remember a discussion about this here a while ago but I wasn't
using the session manager back then and so didn't pay much attention to
it.

You also need to modify your .xsession file to use the session manager (on
Debian; on others, it might be your .xinitrc file).  Mine looks
approximately like this:

/usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
/usr/bin/xfwm4 --daemon
/usr/bin/xftaskbar4 &