Language problems

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Wed Oct 12 15:11:42 CEST 2005

Hola,

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:24:15 -0600
Andres Olarte wrote:

> I'm been trying to get xfce running in spanish. I download the
> stable release, and compiled it. Everything works fine. I've
> tried with different locales, and some of the components are
> in spanish, but most remain in english.

Okay again, I'd like to confirm what the problem is exactly
before 4.2.3 release if it'll be happened. Now I'm in `es'
locale below,

    LANG=es
    LC_COLLATE="es"
    LC_CTYPE="es"
    LC_MONETARY="es"
    LC_NUMERIC="es"
    LC_TIME="es"
    LC_MESSAGES="es"
    LC_ALL=es

everything is working well, although I'm using latest trunk version.
See attached image (config_window.jpg) for an example. Only
possibility I could imagine from what you said is, didn't you set
different path for the locale directory? i.e.

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-locales-dir=/usr/local/share/locale

To check whether message catalog files are looked correctly,
you'll need to kill some Xfce applications (without xfce4-session),
restart it with `strace' e.g.

    $ strace xfdesktop > runtime.log 2>&1

then

    $ grep locale runtime.log

tells something. I don't think xfce_textdomain() or gettext
related functions have problem from my properly displayed Spanish
at least.

> I've checked the translations, and it seems that much more is
> translated than what i'm seeing in spanish. Basically, it seems
> that only the "desktop" (when I right click on the desktop the
> "Desktop Menu" is in spanish).

As far as I know, desktop menu comes from XML file in xfdesktop,
and in which "Desktop Menu" isn't completely translated in Spanish,
therefore you'll have to see the following

    Accessories
    Development
    Office

on pop-up menu. Si, they keep English but that's because there's
no Spanish translated XML file yet, if you'll give Spanish
translations to us, Spanish speaking Xfce user will be happy.
Your file is

    xfce-registered-categories.xml

Regards,
--