KDE -> Xfce

Christopher Taylor mojosound at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 21:50:06 CET 2005

On 11/12/05, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Niki's introduction post from earlier today got me thinking. At this
> point, it seems completely natural that users would switch from KDE to
> Xfce; it seems to happen all the time. However, it took me kind of
> aback today; maybe I just now stepped back and thought about it. But
> why from KDE to Xfce? Or why does it seem that people can hold KDE
> and Xfce in similar regard but Xfce users who have used GNOME now hold
> it in such disdain?
>
> I'm speaking in broad strokes, but these are the stereotypes I've seen
> on the list, IRC, and the forum. I, for one, prefer GNOME to KDE, but
> that is partly due to my preference of GTK+, of simplicity, and of
> consistency with some of my favorite apps.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> --
> http://aconkling.blogspot.com

Andrew,

I originally chose KDE because it was the default for Mandriva. I also came
from using Windows and it was easier for me to start with. KDE looks enough
like Windows to feel comfortable for the newbie. For me, Gnome did not. I
switched to Xfce as an experiment. I have lurked on a number of lists and
IRC rooms and have heard people rave (Hawkwind and Rosemary come to mind).
I've tried it and liked it. It is cleaner and faster than KDE, but I still
feel comfortable. I have switched back to KDE for the moment because I had a
harddrive failure causing me to re-install. I will be installing Xfce again
soon.

--
Christopher Taylor - Registered Linux User #383327