Automatic focus settings

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:39:24 CET 2005

On 11/11/05, Harold <h.aling at home.nl> wrote:
> I was cleaning out my mail archive and I found this email:
>
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > In the Window Manager Preferences there is the option to 'Automatically
> > give focus to newly created windows'. This is great, but is there a way
> > to only do this for sub-windows (or daughter windows?). Basically am
> > often working in a window and have another window created (either
> > because, for example, I've started an application in the background or
> > because Gaim pops up with a message from somebody). These windows I
> > don't want to give focus to. If I disable the setting, however, password
> > windows and other windows created from the application I am working in
> > don't get focus.
> >
> > As an aside to this, I am working with 'Focus follows mouse' and
> > 'Automatically raise windows when they receive focus' disabled.
> I checked the list archive but it seems that nobody has replied to his
> request/comment.
>
>  I want to restart this discussion because it's the only thing that
> keeps getting me annoyed when using the best desktop environment
> available...
>
> Harold.

AFAIK that ain't possible (yet). If I know the devs well enough, they
would want you to file a feature request bug on the bugzilla to
prevent them from forgetting about it.

Btw, there is a hidden window manager option that prevents programs
from stealing focus when starting. However, from what I've heard it
just works for some apps, and it has something to do with startup
notification (IIRC). Anyway, check out the documentation [0] for this.

Regards, Alexander Toresson

[0] http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/documentation/docs-4.2/xfwm4.html#hidden_options