More Serious Problems with 4.2.x

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed May 18 03:07:26 CEST 2005

On 5/17/05, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> > Ah, sorry, I wasn't thinking.  Are you running the session manager?
>
> Brian,
>
>    Yes; that's the default. Besides, I was one of the loud voices asking for
> this to be returned when we lost it between 3.x and 4.x.
>
> > Did you notice the large commented section of the new xinitrc that mentions
> > that all the stuff in the xinitrc are fallbacks and don't matter? Please
> > see the mailing list archives for the millions of people who have asked how
> > to not run the taskbar. Or try the FAQ entry:
> > http://xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en#taskbar
>
>    The FAQ did the trick, thank you very much.
>
>    Now, since you're firing on all cylinders, what's the secret to get xmodmap
> to read ~/.Xmodmap on startup? I saw nothing in the FAQ about that.

At least on my system, ~/.Xmodmap gets read, no problem. Of course,
there is the possibility that Slackware has a modified xinitrc for
Xfce.

If you check your xinitrc, and you have these lines
# load local modmap
test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

and they are prior to loading the session manager, then you should
check your .xsession-errors to see if there are Xmodmap errors.

> Many thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>   Voice: 503-667-4517   Fax: 503-667-8863

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik