Starting xfce4 from xdm?

Pasi Orovuo pasi.ov at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:05:27 CET 2005

If it's possible for you to make Xfce the default destop environment for
all users in your system, this can be achieved by creating a new file
"xfce-4.2.0" under /etc/X11/Sessions:

pasi at cain Sessions $ cat /etc/X11/Sessions/xfce-4.2.0
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/startxfce4

Remember +x permissions.

Then, in your /etc/rc.conf add (or modify) the XSESSION environment
variable:

XSESSION="xfce-4.2.0"

This is how I've solved this in my Gentoo installation.

-Pasi