Starting xfce4 from xdm?

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 11:35:10 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:05:27 +0200
Pasi Orovuo <pasi.ov at gmail.com> wrote:

> If it's possible for you to make Xfce the default destop environment
> for  all users in your system, this can be achieved by creating a new
> file  "xfce-4.2.0" under /etc/X11/Sessions:
>
> pasi at cain Sessions $ cat /etc/X11/Sessions/xfce-4.2.0
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/startxfce4
>
> Remember +x permissions.
>
> Then, in your /etc/rc.conf add (or modify) the XSESSION environment
> variable:
>
> XSESSION="xfce-4.2.0"

On reading through various scripts I found that what was missing was the
symbolic link /etc/X11/Sessions/XFce4 -> /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/XFce4.
That caused /etc/X11/chooser.sh not to find a match for the XSESSION
entry in /etc/rc.conf and fall back to the basic twm with no xterms.

Now to try to find out why the link had not been put into place...

Thank you all for your help.

--
Rgds
Peter Humphrey