How fast is Xfce's composite manager?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 16 22:33:50 CET 2005

Auke Kok wrote:

> Robert Kurowski wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:27:58 +0100
>> Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on a p2 300 with 64 mb ram, which hasn't got any 3d card.
>>> Is it worth installing xfce4 with the graphical installer to test
>>> it out, or will it just be too slow? Xcompmgr ran at less than
>>> 1 fps.
>>>

>> Duron 800, 256 ram, riva tnt2 (nvidia drivers), slooooooow :(
>
> ????
>
> p3-933, same ram, nvidia geforce2 (nvidia drivers), and it's F*CKING
> FAST even with composite on and fullscreen transparent applications!!!

That's cuz the TNT2 is waaaay too old for the render acceleration to
really do much.  I should know: I have one too.  It's unfortunately
unusable.  I should really get a new card (hell, a geforce FX for <$80
would probably be fine), but for some reason I'm really attached to that
video card... it'll be 6 years old this summer.

    -brian