How fast is Xfce's composite manager?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:58:27 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:49:53 +0100, Auke Kok <sofar at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> Robert Kurowski wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:27:58 +0100
> >Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm on a p2 300 with 64 mb ram, which hasn't got any 3d card.
> >>Is it worth installing xfce4 with the graphical installer to test
> >>it out, or will it just be too slow? Xcompmgr ran at less than
> >>1 fps.
> >>

> >Duron 800, 256 ram, riva tnt2 (nvidia drivers), slooooooow :(
> >

> ????
>
> p3-933, same ram, nvidia geforce2 (nvidia drivers), and it's F*CKING
> FAST even with composite on and fullscreen transparent applications!!!

nVidia binary drivers have Render acceleration. The difference between
the two of you is almost definately to difference in your cards

> even on non-hw accelerated cards anything above 500MHz should be sweet,

My machine becomes litterally unusable with composite and the
compositing manager, if I use the vesa driver. Hanging out on Xorg
lists seems to show that with no render accel, ridiculously low
performance is expected

Memory seems to be the major bottle neck in software, since every
window has to be mapped into memory, even if it isn't "visible"
because of the need to support any arbitrary compositing operation

> if not impressive. I'd bet that 300MHz is not super-swift but it should
> definately be "comfy".
>
> sofar

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik