Raise/lower

Bob Hepple bhepple at freeshell.org
Thu Mar 10 07:03:13 CET 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:49:25 -0800
Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:

> Ondrej,
>
> Try unchecking "Raise on click" in Window Manager Preferences -> Focus.
> Or maybe you don't want that behavior.
>
> I don't mean to criticize anyone's preferences, but I don't understand
> why folks would want a window to raise when clicked in. This is one of
> the most annoying things with MS Windows IMO. I like being able to
> scroll, click, enter text, dnd, or whatever into a window without it
> raising and covering up some other window that I'm trying to read from,
> drag to, etc.
>
> Perhaps someone can offer an explanation of the benefit of "raise on click".

Hi Bob,

Actually, we're not talking about "raise on button-1" - I also dislike
that concept - what we're talking about is the behaviour of alt-button-1.

alt-button-1 is presently hard coded in xfce4 to a raise-window
function. What I really want is slightly more intelligence in that
raise-window function so that if the window is already on top then it
is sent to the bottom. In that way you can cycle through a stack of
windows rather nicely.

One reason for wanting this (apart from being used to it in fvwm2) is that
I find it a bit hard to use the middle button on mice especially if it's a
wheel that often rotates as I click it - it's much easier to find and use
button-1.

Another alternative would be to make those mouse clicks configurable
just like the keyboard events so that we might be able to switch from
the default:

alt-button-1 raise-window
alt-button-2 lower-window

to the other way around:

alt-button-1 lower-window
alt-button-2 raise-window

... xfce4's "lower-window" is more powerful than "raise-window" in the
sense that you can cycle through a stack of windows with that one
button-press.

Cheers

Bob

--