panel plugin praise

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 07:15:52 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 00:39 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 7/30/05, Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been running Xfce4 on my FC3 system for about 9mths now.  Great
> > work, guys.  As with most users, I slowly customised the desktop to suit
> > my preferences, including tinkering with most of the panel plugins a
> > bit.  However, I didn't seriously get stuck into them until very
> > recently and didn't realise the bonus I was missing by not using one in
> > particular: clipboard manager.  Thank you, Eduard Roccatello :-)
> >
> > My enthusiasm is especially high because it solved the _major_
> > irritation I had with my use of evolution email client: evo doesn't
> > integrate with the clipboard very well, to the point that saw me looking
> > for solutions on the evo mail list.  In evo, if you copy a selection of
> > text and then close the mail from which the selection came, the
> > clipboard is purged.
>
> This isn't evo, exactly. It's by design in X. One could say it's
> broken by design.

Yes, I was helped to realise that fact from replies on the evo list :-).
Funny, though it is an X problem, evo was the only productivity/business
app that acted like that.  E.g., if I copy text from a window in galeon,
say, close that window and go to almost any other app the text is still
available to paste.  That was how my system acted _before_ using
clipman, and having that existing function from other apps (w/o clipman)
is what had me chasing evo as being at fault :-/

>   Others said the same happened with other WM, not
> > just Xfce.  But, then I tried clipman-plugin and my problem was solved.
> > I guess it does what Klipper does on kde, but nice to have it on Xfce4
> > as well :-).
> >
> > Other plugins I used are great, too - but clipman was a sanity saver :-)
> >

> I discovered the same thing myself

And, as with most good things - why didn't I use it sooner ;-)

Gavin