(lite) distro using xfce as main/defualt gui

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:49:37 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:54 +0100, Samuel Wright wrote:
> Hi All
> Are there any distros for older/earlier pcs that use XFCE as a main desktop/wm?
>
> Cheers
> Sam

You need to be more specific about what older type PC you mean.  I
switched to Xfce after using KDE for a long time.  I switched because I
use a 450MHz PII as my everyday workstation.  KDE was usable, but many
operations were very slow, whereas Xfce has no problems with speed on
this old PC.

There are many light-weight distros, and I suggest you check out
distrowatch.com to see one that would suit you.  On my old PC, I run
FC3, and find that it's a good distro to choose because it supports Xfce
out of the box.  When doing your install you can elect to choose your
packages manually and just put on Xfce, avoiding gnome and kde.  Other
than that, I've been told that Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org) is good for
older hardware, but can't speak for whether Xfce comes with it as
standard.  You could just install it and then go out and get Xfce to
replace gnome (or whatever) once you have the PC up and running.  HTH.

Gavin