File managers (ROX Deficit)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Tue Jul 12 20:33:03 CEST 2005

El mar, 12-07-2005 a las 19:37 +0200, Benedikt Meurer escribió:

> > Yes, probably specific cell renderers would help. You also have to keep
> > an eye open to avoid inefficient default ways of the GtkTreeView, like
> > sorting the treeview when each element is added instead of doing a
> > single bulk sort, or rendering each row when added instead of loop
> > rendering.
>
> What I figured out for Thunar is that disconnecting the model from the
> treeview, rebuilding the model and connecting the model to the treeview
> is about the fastest way to change directories.

Ah, good idea. That would solve the rendering problem in a cleaner way
than xffm does (closing expanded nodes before adding elements and then
expanding after all elements are added).

> > Anyways, the xffm treeview is faster than the nautilus
> > equivalent (showing everything), and Rox does not have a treeview, just
> > a listview, so there is no comparison.
>
> ROXs listview isn't based on GtkTreeView, but its some custom hack,
> which lacks a11y support and it doesn't look right with most probably
> every existing theme, so its really not suitable for a comparison.
>
> BTW: Slightly off-topic, I know, but the Xffm gridview doesn't properly
> display large folders (e.g. /usr/local/bin with >1000 entries here). If
> you scroll up/down, it doesn't redraw the whole view, but only parts,
> and you see fragments of no longer visible files.

Yes, I've noticed this when you scroll down. After a certain point, the
expose events within the gtk_drawing_area widget are not generated
correctly. Curiously enough, scroll is correct by dragging the scrollbar
with mouse button down. Seems like a gtk bug to work around...

regards,

--
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>