File managers (ROX Deficit)

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jul 12 19:37:50 CEST 2005

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>>>Actually, that's not xffm but the GtkTreeView widget that's slow.
>>
>>GtkTreeView itself is pretty fast. List/Treeviews in applications are
>>usually slowed down by using unsuited renderers (e.g.
>>GtkCellRendererText and GtkCellRendererPixbuf are ok for most cases, but
>>atleast the latter is not necessarily the best choice for a
>>list/treeview in a file manager, as the model must provide the whole
>>icon, scaled to the proper size and combined with the emblems) and the
>>use of generic data containers like GtkListStore or GtkTreeStore for
>>large models.
>
> Yes, probably specific cell renderers would help. You also have to keep
> an eye open to avoid inefficient default ways of the GtkTreeView, like
> sorting the treeview when each element is added instead of doing a
> single bulk sort, or rendering each row when added instead of loop
> rendering.

What I figured out for Thunar is that disconnecting the model from the
treeview, rebuilding the model and connecting the model to the treeview
is about the fastest way to change directories.

> Anyways, the xffm treeview is faster than the nautilus
> equivalent (showing everything), and Rox does not have a treeview, just
> a listview, so there is no comparison.

ROXs listview isn't based on GtkTreeView, but its some custom hack,
which lacks a11y support and it doesn't look right with most probably
every existing theme, so its really not suitable for a comparison.

BTW: Slightly off-topic, I know, but the Xffm gridview doesn't properly
display large folders (e.g. /usr/local/bin with >1000 entries here). If
you scroll up/down, it doesn't redraw the whole view, but only parts,
and you see fragments of no longer visible files.

greets,
Benedikt