File managers (ROX Deficit)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Tue Jul 12 17:04:33 CEST 2005

El lun, 11-07-2005 a las 15:13 -0700, Keith Dart escribió:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>
> > On Monday 11 July 2005 14:43, Auke Kok wrote:
> >

> >> In the past and today still, ROX' filer doesn't fit and the ROX
> >> developers have acknowledged the differences, and that's how it most
> >> likely will be forever. This choice has been made by both the ROX team
> >> and the Xfce team.
> >
> > ROX is nice and fast but lacks two features I tend to like (and xffm has) --
> > 1) it has no file finder and 2) it is too dependent on file name extensions
> > to determine whether it will offer the chance to name an application to open
> > the file.
>
> For 1) I sometimes use the gnome-search-tool from Gnome (part of the "bits
> of gnome/gtk"). But usually, I just use "find" from the command line.
>

> For 2) Rox is the only file manager I know (on Linux) that uses the file
> system extended attributes. You can attach a custom mime type to a file,
> if you wish, using an extended attribute. It also supports the file
> "magic" method.
>
> The xffm I find to be very slow.

Actually, that's not xffm but the GtkTreeView widget that's slow. If you
still use the treeview version of xffm, you are in the stone age.
Although the legacy GUI will still be supported, the current xffm
release no longer uses this widget as default, but rather a "spatial"
iconview which has a smaller memory footprint and faster than the other
filemanagers.

--
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>