FC-4 installation -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Sun Jul 10 16:05:40 CEST 2005

Gavin Chester wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 06:03 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>>Gavin:
>>
>>Be aware that I am severely limited by this slow dial-up circuit.  I
>>have yum trying to install "XFCE Software Development"
>>as I write this, it took  about an hour to do the preliminary stuff,
>>download headers, etc., and  now it's downloading 154M of packages which
>>might take ~10 hours or more on a good day! There is little hope of
>>completing this task in one session and I can probably do without the
>>capabilities it adds.  It will no doubt take a few sessions to complete
>>but  I'll give it a try.
>>
>>I do appreciate the help I have received however.  If nothing else I
>>have become more proficient at using yum and yumex.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>BobG
>>

>How did you install FC4 in the first instance?  If you have the disks
>downloaded, bought, borrowed, or got with a magazine or whatever, then
>all the developer tools you need, except the Xfce stuff, will be on
>those disks.  I said as much my first reply (except drawing distinction
>about the Xfce stuff) :-).  The other alternative is to use the
>installer file from os-cillation.  Can't remember the link - you'll find
>it on the Xfce site somewhere.  YMMV, but I couldn't get the installer
>to work with my FC3 system, so that's why I didn't mention it before :-)
>
>Gavin
>
>(PS: I'm also on a dialup and persevered with downloading nearly 3G of
>FC3 with an average download rate of 3kb/sec.  It took about two weeks)

You are a very patient man, obviously ...

I bought  FC-4 on four disks from Linux Central for about $12 with
shipping as I did with two earlier versions. I don't know that all the
required files are on those disks, the stuff you refer to may be on the
source disks?

At any rate another app. I lost with FC-3 is whichcd and now I have to
manually examine the "RPMS" directories which I copied to hdb. I did
find a copy of which cd but it only went to fc3!

Bob