FC-4 installation -

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 14:00:23 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 06:03 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Gavin:
>
> Be aware that I am severely limited by this slow dial-up circuit.  I
> have yum trying to install "XFCE Software Development"
> as I write this, it took  about an hour to do the preliminary stuff,
> download headers, etc., and  now it's downloading 154M of packages which
> might take ~10 hours or more on a good day! There is little hope of
> completing this task in one session and I can probably do without the
> capabilities it adds.  It will no doubt take a few sessions to complete
> but  I'll give it a try.
>
> I do appreciate the help I have received however.  If nothing else I
> have become more proficient at using yum and yumex.
>
> Thanks.
>
> BobG

How did you install FC4 in the first instance?  If you have the disks
downloaded, bought, borrowed, or got with a magazine or whatever, then
all the developer tools you need, except the Xfce stuff, will be on
those disks.  I said as much my first reply (except drawing distinction
about the Xfce stuff) :-).  The other alternative is to use the
installer file from os-cillation.  Can't remember the link - you'll find
it on the Xfce site somewhere.  YMMV, but I couldn't get the installer
to work with my FC3 system, so that's why I didn't mention it before :-)

Gavin

(PS: I'm also on a dialup and persevered with downloading nearly 3G of
FC3 with an average download rate of 3kb/sec.  It took about two weeks)